Covid-19: Please find here some guidance on the use of masks by the general population issued by the Director General of Health.
Is it mandatory to wear a mask?
Yes in some places. The government mandates the use of masks by all persons who:
- stay or access indoor spaces with several people:
- commercial establishments and services
- public services and buildings
- educational establishments and day care centers
- use public transport
It is important to remember that the use of a mask is an additional protection measure against social distance, hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. The general population will be able to use community masks and those who belong to the risk group should wear surgical masks.
Should risk groups wear a mask?
Yes. All people included in the risk groups for Covid-19 , are considered more vulnerable and must wear a surgical mask whenever they leave the house.
Does the visor replace the mask?
No. The mask is the device that allows to cover the mouth and nose (barrier method) protecting the droplets that are expelled through sneezing, coughing or speaking. The visor can be used, but always as a complement to the mask.
How should I put on a mask?
- Wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based solution (before putting on the mask);
- Put the mask in the correct position. The folding edge should face upwards and the coloured face outwards;
- Hold the mask by the support / elastic lines and adapt to each ear;
- Adjust the mask close to the nose and chin, without touching the face of the mask.
How should I remove a mask?
- Wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based solution;
- Remove the mask just by holding the support / elastic lines;
- Keep the mask away from the face and clothing, to avoid touching potentially contaminated surfaces of the mask;
- Place the mask in the appropriate container and wash your hands again.
It is stressed that wearing masks must be accompanied by other measures, already recommended, such as social distancing, frequent hand washing and respiratory hygiene .